Sunday, June 13, 2010

Author Returns from Africa

So my pastor tells me that no one wants to read a blog that is not constantly kept up to date. I understand that sentiment. However, many people don't really read blogs anyway. They usually peruse them for tidbits of meaty details and then call it good. I created this blog to vent, ponder, undate, and simply exercise my ability to write whenever I want to. Unfortunately, I want to write much more often than I really get to write, so for that reason, I will continue to update this blog as time permits. You can peruse it, read it or trash it if you like. This time, however, will be one you won't want to miss!

Africa, Oh, Africa. Well, that's the title of a book, but also a great thought. I just spent two wonderful weeks with my husband, Mike, and 29 other friends in Swaziland, Africa. This trip was more than just a missions trip. It was the culmination of the study of the history of my family. You see, my grandparents were missionaries to Enzingeni, Swaziland from 1947-1951. My father and two of my uncles were born there. I've been raised to revere the land of the first Nazarene Africa missionaries, Harmon and Lula Schmelzenbach. I've heard stories, seen photos and even written a book about my grandparents' time in Swaziland. Even though they were only able to serve in Africa for five years, those tender years entirely shaped the next generations of our family. Five years. Lots can happen in that time on foreign soil.

So...my journey to the other side of the world was a quest to match a physical place and its people with the concepts and dreams that I've carried in my head and heart for so long. When two worlds like this collide, it can either be disappointing or it can be exhilariting. For me, it was the latter. First, the Lord put to rest my misconceptions of the typical African countryside. While much of Africa is bare and desolate, Swaziland in its winter is bountiful, green, lush, mountainous and gorgeous. It is actually termed the Savannah, and it is breathtaking. It is not hot. Rather, during their winter, the temps drop into the 40's and raise into the 70's. The Swazi's hate the "cold," but it felt great to me. A light jacket was all I needed.

Next, the people of Swaziland are happy and content. They have much to ponder, wonder, and wish for. They have needs that will probably never be met this side of Heaven. They have hardships that we in America cannot fathom. Most will die young (by the age of 37) and many will hold their dying loved ones in their arms, one after another. Aids is stealing away the health and youth of the nation. Yet, the Swazi's are kind. They are gentle. They are quiet and peace loving people. They don't speak loudly. In fact, one has to move in close to catch what they are saying. They have huge hearts that beat for each other, which, in many ways, is all they really have in this world. They are not distracted with materialism and its associated petty problems. They live for the day and for the hope of a brighter future.

Swazi's love having their pictures taken and looking at them on the back of the digital camera. They like to play games and their youth would rather be playing than studying, just like those in America. In the area of worship, they trump us all. During a worship service, there is no such thing as transitional down time. In such a moment, someone, anyone, from the congregation breaks out into a song and within a couple of notes, everyone joins in. No matter the age, hands raise in worship of our God. The same song might be sung four times in the course of the 2+ hour service, but that doesn't matter. It's all about glorifying God. They love the traditional hymns of the church and Sunday is the day they await all week. Their shoes are shined. Many walk up to 5 miles to get to the church. They love to sing and hear their own voices. Instruments are not really needed. There are no guitars. A keyboard is used upon occasion, but usually the player has to find the key the song is being sung in and then try to join in.

The students of Swaziland work very hard to learn English, speak it fluenty and pass tests all in English. There is much pressure on the students to pass the final test each year in order to move on to the next grade level. There is no free public schooling in Swaziland. All schools are private and cost a hefty tuition for the students. The fees go toward the uniform (all schools have one) and the materials cost. The country is trying to move to free education for the lowest grades, but this is not going to be a smooth transition. When 7th grade is completed, the students move to Forms 1-5 (our grades 8-12). Again, there is a hefty cost involved. If the high school graduate desires to continue his education, he can move on to the University of Swaziland. Few have the money for this, although many have the aspiration and desire.

Swazi's are not afraid to ask for help. They acknowledge that without the aid of missions teams and funding from other sources, they would not be able to accomplish some of what they have. They have the belief that all white Americans are rich. And, really, compared to their life situation, we all are rich. However, they do not understand that we don't have money to pay for the needs of the individuals and schools in Swaziland. Yet, they don't let this issue of status and monetary difference come between them and the visitors from America. I met and worked with a wonderful lady at the school in Endzingeni, and I hope to be friends with her for many years to come. I fully expect to see her in Swaziland again someday, the Lord willing.

And so, we were touched by so many lives in Africa. It was an eye opening experience, one that I will treasure. In some ways I can't believe I've been to Africa and back. Both Mike and I believe we left a part of our hearts there. We returned to America to our family and then immediately began to face the difficulties that we knew would arise in the daily grind of life. However, we are praying that God will continually remind us of our friends in Africa and His goodness to sustain us all as we live each day to serve the Lord wherever He has us from one moment to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment