Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This Author Is Published!

Reflections on the process of being a published author:

1. The process takes a very long time. It is an exercise in patience. However, it is worth every minute, hour, month, year. I signed my contract with Tate Publishing in April of 2009. My book hit the publication process in September. It is available for purchase as of today, March 16, 2010. The official release date is set for June 15, 2010. One good thing about the lengthy process, I knew the whole thing up front. There were no surprises.

2. Each step of the publication process was handled professionally and with ease. I was quickly assigned a staff person who worked with me via e-mail to dot every "I" and cross every "T" both literally and figuratively. I had open access to a warm bodied person to ask questions of and bounce ideas off of. I never felt like I was thrown in the deep end without a floatie. I was always assisted with any of my needs.

3. Writing my first book was easier for me than actually getting it published. The hardest part of publishing was finding the right publisher. In the end, I turned down 3 self-publish offers and one other traditional publishing offer before settling on Tate Publishing out of Mustang, OK. In the process of seeking a publisher, I wrote a very nice professional book proposal. The proposal took me a long time, as I wanted to be sure I got every detail correct. I'm not sure if the proposal tipped the scales in my favor or not, but I would suggest writing one for a first-time author. Every little thing helps.

4. I could have saved money (and lots of it) up front if I had chosen to go with a self-publishing company. However, in the end, my book would only have been available for purchase on-line. It would not have been carried in local and area book stores. I would not have had any support in marketing my book, and I would not have had all the fabulous aid in layout, design, proof stages, etc. The book would have been a fast effort that saved time and money, but in the end, it would have cheapened the book. Besides, if my book sells well enough, I'll get my investment back, along with the royalties I make. I am confident I made the right choice, as I've felt God's hand on the process all the way along.

5. Holding a copy of my first book is something akin to holding a newborn child. It took months to nurture and develop those thoughts and put them together in a book. The words were born of my heart, soul, and mind. They were planted there by the Lord, and He expected me to use them to further His kingdom. I don't value the book for the sake of the book. After all, in a few weeks it will be just another thing on the shelf. I value the book for the journey it signifies. It encompasses the story of God's redeeming power in my life. The words weave the story of my divorce and recovery, my marriage and new life with Mike, my wonderful second husband. I also value the book because it signifies a huge leap of faith for me. In pursuing the book, I stepped out of my comfort zone and did something that I did not know I was capable of doing. In the middle of the night I heard God say, "It's time to move on." In a nutshell, I quit my ten-year teaching career and headed for unknown territory. The book I now hold in my hands is just one more example of God's faithfulness.

6. Through it all, I have continually prayed that my book would be a blessing to others who are faced with the same trial of divorce that I have lived through. I want to be a vessel that God can use to shed some light on someone else's journey. No two accounts of divorce are identical, but one thing is the same. Rejection is the pits, but God is always greater than the sin in our world. I want first book to glorify God and bring praise to Him for all that He has done in my life. If no one else reads the book, and it proves to have been only a theraputic process of healing for me, then it would still be worth every cent, second, and bit of energy. I would do it all over again.

If you have ever wondered about pursuing a dream that seems just out of your reach, ask God if it is from Him. Don't be afraid to "move on." Forgetting the past, pressing on to take hold of the future. See, God IS doing a new thing!

1 comment:

  1. My copy is on the way. (I hope to bring it to the KC area some day for the author's autograph.) Congratulations on your great accomplishment. I pray that God will use your efforts to guide others who are hurting.

    ReplyDelete