Thursday, August 27, 2009

Typos Run Amok

Ah, the ever present typo. I am a former English teacher and author, yet I must continue to deal with the infamous typo. I know what I want to say, how I want to say it, and the best time and place to say it, but I must also consider the typo. I have been a paid editor for English papers in a local college preparatory high school, and I am good at finding typos. Well, let me clarify that a bit.

I am good at finding typos in other people's writing. In my own, I see what I should be seeing, not what I am seeing. Did you get that? Regardless, here is my philosophy on typos, in regard to this blog, all of my personal (not professional related) e-mail, texts, etc. Oh, wait! Texts are one enormous typo, so they don't count in the mix anyway...more on texts in another blog.

And yet I digress...my philosophy on typos: I will try to avoid them at all times. However, after I've given my blog a once-over to check for the nuisances, I'll simply save the post and move on. I don't have time to re-read over and over, and by the time I do that, I'll lose the idea that I was trying to convey in the first place.

Please don't get me wrong. Editing is vitally important. I pay an editor to go over my professional work with a fine tooth comb searching for typos. I have been a paid editor looking for typos. However, for the purposes of this blog, I shall render all typos powerless. Thus said, "Typos, you have no dominion over my blog posts. If you appear, we shall all simply ignore your presence and enjoy the purpose and focus of each blog. Move on and pepper someone else's page, please!"

No comments:

Post a Comment